Re: Blob URL Origin

From: Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 09:47:54 -0500
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Cc: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com>, Joel Weinberger <jww@google.com>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
Hmm.  One factor that might change my mind on this: If I pass a blob URL,
revoking the URL appropriately becomes hard.  Even if it gets implemented,
auto-revoke can't help with this.  That brings back all of the problems
with non-auto-revoking blob URLs, and adds a new layer of complexity, since
I have to coordinate between the site creating the blob URL and everyone
receiving it to figure out when to revoke it.

On the other hand, I can just post the blob itself.  That avoids all of
that mess, and the other side can just create a blob URL from it itself if
that's what it needs.

That suggests that it's not worth trying to make blob URLs more accessible
cross-origin.  I can't think of any case where I'd rather pass a blob URL
instead of just posting the Blob itself.

--
Glenn Maynard