[webcomponents] Minutes from 20 May 2014 call

From: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 12:38:18 -0400
To: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
The minutes from the May 20 Web Components call are available at the
following and copied below:

<http://www.w3.org/2014/05/20-webapps-minutes.html>

If anyone has any corrections, please reply to this e-mail.

-Thanks, ArtB

W3C <http://www.w3.org/>

  - DRAFT -

  WebApps / Web Components

Agenda
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2014AprJun/0488.html>

See also:IRC log <http://www.w3.org/2014/05/20-webapps-irc>

    Attendees

Present
    Dimitri, Art, Domenic_Denicola, Cindy, Deen
Regrets
Chair
    Dimitri
Scribe
    Art, Dimitri

    Contents

  * Topics <http://www.w3.org/2014/05/20-webapps-minutes.html#agenda>
     1. Agenda bashing
        <http://www.w3.org/2014/05/20-webapps-minutes.html#item01>
     2. Shadow DOM survey
        <http://www.w3.org/2014/05/20-webapps-minutes.html#item02>
     3. ES6 and Custom Elements
        <http://www.w3.org/2014/05/20-webapps-minutes.html#item03>
     4. AoB or Other Agenda Items
        <http://www.w3.org/2014/05/20-webapps-minutes.html#item04>
  * Summary of Action Items
    <http://www.w3.org/2014/05/20-webapps-minutes.html#ActionSummary>

<ArtB> Scribe: Art

<ArtB> ScribeNick: ArtB

<xiaoqian> ScribeNick: ArtB

<xiaoqian> Scribe: Art

<dglazkov> Agenda items:

https://www.w3.org/wiki/PointerEvents/Meetings#Meeting_Scribes-> Scribe
cheat sheet

<dglazkov> * Shadow DOM survey
result:https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-SQX77WF/

      Agenda bashing

Scribe+ Dimitri

ScribeNick+ dglazkov

<dglazkov> * Shadow DOM survey results:
ttps://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-SQX77WF/

<dglazkov> * Custom Elements ES6
update:http://w3c.github.io/webcomponents/spec/custom/#es6

<xiaoqian_> Scribe: Dimitri

<xiaoqian_> ScribeNick: dglazkov

Let's get started?

First up: Shadow DOM survey

<ArtB> ScribeNick: ArtB

      Shadow DOM survey

DG:http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2014AprJun/0398.html

 want to get feedback from those actually using Shadow DOM

 not sure how trustworthy the results are

 but the top 4-5 have the most weight

 first item is significant

<scribe>  closed shadow trees was very low vote even though we talked
about it; thus, it appears developers don't care much about it

DG:results arehttps://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-SQX77WF/

DD:need to clarify some definitions

<Domenic> In particular, wondering about shadow as function

<dglazkov>http://blog.quickui.org/2013/11/08/filling-slots-in-shadow/

 that is, need clarification on "shadow-as-function"

DG:currently, older shadow is one participant

 how distributed elements interact

 shadow-as-function give special argument style where contents is
distributed into shadow tree

DD:related to imperative API?

DG:no, this about distribution

 imperative API is ranked #6 in the survey

 I would like to work on that but not a high priority for devs based on
the survey

 so I think I'll focus on the other items

DD:encapsulation is important to encapsulate video tag (for Servo)

DG:yeah, the devs and implementers have diff priorities

 this survey was targeted at devs

DD:some of the stuff in the middle is more conceptual

 and thus isn't necessarily a high prio for devs or implementers

 clear theming support is the highest prio

DG:think surveys like this can be helpful for other topics

 pleased to see 20 responses

 if there were only 5 or less, I'd be concerned

 if too small a sample, it raises questions on validity

AB:nice to see this survey

 this was the first time we used one

DD:yes agree the survey was good

      ES6 and Custom Elements

DG:did some work with Arv re ES6 and Custom Elements

<Domenic> wooohooo!!

<dksmith> Found a mobile IRC client... Woot!

DG:spec now is more ES5 but would like to change it to be more aligned
with ES6

<dglazkov>http://w3c.github.io/webcomponents/spec/custom/#es6

DG:algorithms in ES6 are much more clear

 f.ex. throw for some errors

 can now specify things I used to `hand wave` before

 can eliminate a lot of prose

DD:really glad to hear this

 think more Web specs should follow this more precise way to write specs

DG:at one point I thought I should just write JS ;-)

[ laughs  ]

DD:with Promises spec and Streams spec I'm using this same rigor

DG:docRegisterElement in ES6 returns value you gave to it

 this is different behavior; not sure how many people noticed this

DD:how does this fit with class syntax?

DG:fine/ok

 just works

      AoB or Other Agenda Items

DG:anything else?

AB:there is lots of flexibility re the structure of the meeting

 some meetings can be very bug fixed

DG:yes, I like that

DD:also good to have an opp to understand the bigger picture

AB:I agree Domenic

DKS:would also be helpful to get a review of important bugs

DG:yes, can structure the first part re more general topics

 and then the second part is detailed bugs

DG:one issue is the Shadow DOM Editor and the time of this call

 can we alternate the calls?

 f.ex. one time friendly to US and another friendly to Asia

AB:yes, we can make that happen

DG:another Q/Issue is to get more Web devs to participate

 I was hoping some non-browser people would participate

AB:I think the meeting can be organized to facilitate devs participation

 we just need to be careful about the provenance of the contribution

DG:meeting adjourned

<dglazkov> yay!

<dglazkov> thank you guys for participating!

    Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]