Re: Custom Elements: 'data-' attributes

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 5:07 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@apple.com> wrote:

> There is a difference in people not caring about forward compatibility and
> polluting the global namespace, and not providing a mechanism to do it
> right in the first place.

You'll always need to be able to declare attributes that the browser
doesn't know about, for polyfills.

> If we're encouraging authors to define their own attributes, then we
> should provide a mechanism or a guideline to do so in a forward compatible
> manner.

Allowing isn't necessarily encouraging, and we do have a guideline: use
data-*.  Be careful of falling into the trap of adding complexity to fix
something that isn't actually a serious problem...

--
Glenn Maynard