Re: Custom Elements: 'data-' attributes

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 20:23:38 +0000 (UTC)
To: Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@apple.com>
cc: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, Wilson Page <wilsonpage@me.com>, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@google.com>, public-webapps@w3c.org
On Wed, 7 May 2014, Ryosuke Niwa wrote:

> How are you going to quantify the risk of adding a new global attribute
> in the future?

Same we we do today. Look to see how many pages use the attribute, find a
name that's not used much, and then try to deploy it and see what breaks.

> I don't want us to depend on some random search engines to make a guess
> as to which names are safe to use.

That's basically how we've been doing it so far.

I mean, it's not like disallowing people from making up attributes has
stopped everyone from making up attributes. This is already a problem.