Re: [Gamepad] Liveness of Gamepad objects

On 4/29/2014 7:35 PM, Oren Freiberg wrote:

> Originally I was leaning towards live model but I am now leaning towards a snapshot model being the better option. We also found that there was added overhead with making the values live. Having had a few developers play around with both the idea of a snapshot vs live I observed it was much easier for them to add the snapshot approach to their already published games.
>
> It also seemed easier for them to conceptual grab the concept I guess because it seemed like a more natural model that fit with their games where at each frame they grab the snapshot to modify that frame then repeat.

This is good feedback, thanks. Currently due to the implementation
difference users are forced to consume the API as if it was providing
snapshots anyway if they want their code to work in Chrome, so settling
on a snapshot model would simply codify that existing behavior. We risk
breaking content that has special-cased Firefox's behavior or only works
in Firefox, I suppose, but the API doesn't have much surface area and
hasn't been around that long so that doesn't actually seem all that bad.

-Ted