RE: [Gamepad] Liveness of Gamepad objects

From: Oren Freiberg <oren.freiberg@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 23:35:06 +0000
To: Ted Mielczarek <ted@mozilla.com>, Brandon Jones <bajones@google.com>
CC: WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
>> If it were my call I'd vote for gamepad objects being snapshots simply
>> because it will add some additional overhead to make them live and it
>> avoid concerns about observing GC, but I don't really object to either
>> design.

>Anne mentioned the observable GC concern, he said the spec should state that the lifetime of Gamepad >objects is tied to the lifetime of the global, which isn't too terrible. (There aren't going to be a ton of them in >play anyway.)

Originally I was leaning towards live model but I am now leaning towards a snapshot model being the better option. We also found that there was added overhead with making the values live. Having had a few developers play around with both the idea of a snapshot vs live I observed it was much easier for them to add the snapshot approach to their already published games.

It also seemed easier for them to conceptual grab the concept I guess because it seemed like a more natural model that fit with their games where at each frame they grab the snapshot to modify that frame then repeat.