Re: [webcomponents] Inheritance in Custom Elements (Was Proposal for Cross Origin Use Case and Declarative Syntax)

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 3:54 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
>> E.g. the <dialog>'s close() method won't work as defined
>> right now on a subclass of HTMLDialogElement.
>
> Why not?
>
> I assumed that actual ES6 subclassing, complete with invoking the right
> superclass @@create, would in fact produce an object for which this would
> work correctly.  At least any situation that doesn't lead to that is a
> UA/spec bug.

Well for one because the specification at the moment talks about a
<dialog> element and does not consider the case where it may have been
subclassed. The "pending dialog stack" is also for <dialog> elements
only, not exposed in any way, etc. The way the platform is set up at
the moment is very defensive and not very extensible.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/