Re: Styling form control elements

On Thu, 5 Dec 2013, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> I think both are issues. I.e. I think we have two separate use cases:
>
> 1. Enable using the built-in rendering of form controls, but style them
> using author-supplied CSS.
>
> 2. Enable completely replacing the rendering of form controls
>
> I think 1 is *really* hard. Maybe hard enough that we can't do it. But I
> think it would help the web a lot if we could pull it off, so I think we
> should try.
>
> And I think is=... is the wrong solution for 2. As is wrapping the
> control with custom elements. You should be able to attach a replacement
> style using CSS. This is what decorators is, which so far no one is
> working on afaict.

Agreed.

I think #1 is easier than it looks, though. My vision for doing this would
be to define some pseudo-elements we say a browser can provide, explained
as the browser using some default binding that declares those pseudo-
elements (thought obviously behind the hood it doesn't need to be done
that way). Obviously there's a limit to how much you can do with just
this, but I think if we provide sufficient hooks, there needn't be that
much of a limit.