Re: Styling form control elements

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 7:38 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:
> On 12/5/13 4:30 AM, Ryosuke Niwa wrote:
>>
>> As I understand it, people want to do:
>>
>> <select name=cities is=map>
>
> That's not the main issue being discussed right now, as far as I can tell.
> What's being discussed, I think, is that people want to do things like:
>
>   <input type="date">
>
> and then style the datepicker in some particular way.

I think both are issues. I.e. I think we have two separate use cases:

1. Enable using the built-in rendering of form controls, but style
them using author-supplied CSS.
2. Enable completely replacing the rendering of form controls

I think 1 is *really* hard. Maybe hard enough that we can't do it. But
I think it would help the web a lot if we could pull it off, so I
think we should try.

And I think is=... is the wrong solution for 2. As is wrapping the
control with custom elements. You should be able to attach a
replacement style using CSS. This is what decorators is, which so far
no one is working on afaict.

/ Jonas