Re: [webcomponents] HTML Imports

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@chromium.org>wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 9:56 AM, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@chromium.org>wrote:

>>> I very much share this sentiment.
>>>

>> It's a very reasonable and normal worry to have. I lose sleep over this
>> worry all the time. The trick that helps me is balancing it out with the
>> sadness of the geological timescale that it takes for Web platform to
>> advance.
>>

> Just to help visualize the geological timescale, the work on Web
> Components began in late 2010 (
> http://wiki.whatwg.org/index.php?title=Component_Model_Use_Cases&oldid=5631),
> and was chartered in this WG over 2 years ago (
> http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/wiki/CharterChanges#Additions_Agreed).
>
> To clarify my previous email: Web Components is an extremely hard problem
> with lots of constraints, and a concern would be that we miss some bits is
> totally fair. Qualifying this work as "pushed/rushed" probably ain't.

I'd like to make an aside about having respect for one-another's work.

Dimitri, Alex, Dominic, Scott, Elliot and many others have put massive time
into this problem over the course of many years now, and my view is that
the design has evolved and accommodated a dizzying number of challenges and
constraints.

"What this is attempting is big & scary" is fair. "I haven't had time to
digest the design" is fair. "I have the following specific issues" is fair.
"This work is rushed" is always understood as an indictment.

I've seen too many talented people vote with their feet and decide life
will be less frustrating working on a closed system. Let's remember we're
all on the same team.

AFAICT, evolving the web is fundamentally an exercise in not letting
perfect be the enemy of good. I have no doubt Web Components is imperfect,
but from what I can tell, it is *extremely* good.

Also, go hug your mother.