Re: [webcomponents]: Making Shadow DOM Subtrees Traversable

This just seems like a big rant. Your questions about things like should
scripts use closures are just derailing the conversation. I'm honestly not
sure it's worth replying to any of your points. But to clarify some points
I think are relevant:

It's not possible to expose potions of a DOM. So, if you want any
customization at the DOM level, it's all or nothing. You can't expect to
expose a JS API on top of a web component that is small and nice to work
with and provide the flexibility of having control over the DOM. You can
document that your web component provides some hierarchical structure and
uses classes in a specific way. Then users can make modifications, for
example, injecting additional markup, without breaking the structure or
semantics of the existing web component. I'm not advocating for total
anarchy.

As for the <input type="date"> example: This isn't arbitrary 3rd party
scripts coming and crippling your DOM in unexpected ways. This is you as
the developer of the site saying the native experience is too limiting and
then opting in to a different UI. This is also not global, change the world
behavior, this is on a per-element basis.