Re: [File API] About Partial Blob Data, XHR and Streams API

On Jan 22, 2013, at 9:42 AM, Cyril Concolato wrote:

> Hi Arun,
>
> Le 22/01/2013 15:04, Arun Ranganathan a écrit :
>> Hi Cyril,
>>

>> 1) I'm wondering why in progressive mode, does the spec say: " partial Blob data is an ArrayBuffer [TypedArrays] object consisting of the bytes loaded so far". Why isn't it the bytes loaded since the previous progress event?
>>
>> AR: It is always a new ArrayBuffer.  The phraseology "so far" could be replaced by "bytes loaded since the previous progress event" though I'm not always sure that will be the case.
> I understood from Jonas' answer that it was a new ArrayBuffer. What remained unclear was the content of the ArrayBuffer: all the data from the beginning of the read operation (which was problematic), or only the data read since the previous progress event (which I prefer). If, as you say, this is latter option, then please fix the spec. as "so far" is very ambiguous.

Hi Cyril: the model you propose, of deltas since the last read, is actually *not* what the spec's intent is.  Your model does have advantages, but released software follows the former model, namely *all* the data since the beginning of the read operation.  The partial results consist of all the bytes, starting from the beginning, but perhaps not the last byte, depending on progress event and file size.

I'll have to clarify the prose, since from your question, it is clear that this isn't well described.

-- A*