Re: [xhr] statusText is underdefined

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 3:50 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 08:52:25 +0100, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, that would define a specific, definite algorithm. Never mind that
>> it would introduce random bytes into DOMStrings that may or may not have
>> anything to do with character data.
>>

> That's false.

What is false? At present, the inflate algorithm does not make reference to
any character encoding, so it just treats the data as bytes; therefore, it
is *not* well defined when no character encoding is associated with the
input byte sequence.

> Using iso-8859-1 is ambiguous as it is a common alias for windows-1252
> which is definitely not what we want here.

I'm not sure what you mean by ambiguous. If users/servers mislabel content
as 8859-1 or if they insert non-8859-1 data into byte strings that are
defined to be 8859-1, then that is a usage problem, not a spec problem.

My point about introducing random bytes has to do with whether the inflate
algorithm is employed as is or in conjunction with a normative statement
about how to (semantically) interpret the input byte string (to the inflate
algorithm). If we declare (normatively, in the spec) that it is 8859-1 then
the algorithm and spec are now well defined. However, absent of declaring
the encoding of the input byte string, the inflate algorithm output is not
semantically known.

I am assuming here that neither the inflate algorithm nor the (http) client
is attempting to guess/sniff the encoding of the reason status string. Or
are you suggesting otherwise?