Re: Concerns regarding cross-origin copy/paste security

Sorry for the extremely slow reply. It slipped through hundreds of emails :(

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 8:41 PM, Hallvord R. M. Steen <hallvord@opera.com>wrote:

>  To me, it doesn't make sense to remove the other elements:
>> - OBJECT: Could be used for SVG as I understand.
>>

> OBJECT is considered a form element, so it might have hidden data
> associated with it. It can also contain plugin content that could inject
> scripts and be used for XSS attacks. It may be too far-fetched or draconian
> to remove it though. (SVG is rich enough to be its own can of worms by the
> way..)

Given the improved support for inline SVG and MathML, it's probably okay to
strip it. However, we should add EMBED to the list since it's a plugin
element.

 - INPUT (non-hidden, non-password): Content is already available via
>> text/plain.
>>

> An input's @name attribute is basically hidden data the user will not be
> aware of pasting. I'm not sure how much of a threat this is, but we should
> give it some thought.

You mean <input name="~">? I don't think that'll expose much information.
I'd prefer not removing these attributes as I've seen bugs filed against
WebKit for "form control" editors; apparently some people would like to
create form control editors using contenteditable.

- Ryosuke