Re: [File API] Draft for Review

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 21:23:46 -0600, Glenn Maynard <glenn@zewt.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 7:01 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
>  wrote:
>
>> That's not necessary.  There are situations when optional arguments
>> make sense.  They should be avoided, though, when you expect that
>> *future* optional arguments will have nothing to do with the current
>> one, as otherwise you'll have to specify the "optional" argument every
>> time with some null value.
>>
>> Charles gives examples of a few arguments we may want to provide in
>> the future, all of which have nothing to do with whether the url is
>> single-use or reusable.
>>

> This is all fine.  It's only the argument that booleans are so much more
> opaque than other argument types (numbers, at least) that I find
> unconvincing.

As someone who occasionally has to look up if the 3rd argument to
XMLHttpRequest.open() means sync or async, I agree with Tab. And that's
something I've been using for years. Forget about synthetic keyboard
events [1]:

event.initKeyEvent("keypress", true, true, null, null, false, false,
false, false, 9, 0);

[1] Example cribbed from
http://ariya.ofilabs.com/2011/08/hall-of-api-shame-boolean-trap.html

--