Re: Speech Recognition and Text-to-Speech Javascript API - seeking feedback for eventual standardization

> 2) How does the draft incorporate with the existing <input speech>
> API[1]? It seems to me as if it'd be best to define both the attribute
> as the DOM APIs in a single specification, also because they share
> several events (yet don't seem to be interchangeable) and the
> attribute already has an implementation.

The <input speech> API proposal was implemented as <input x-webkit-speech>
in Chromium a while ago. A lot of the developer feedback we received was
about finer grained control including a javascript API and letting the web
application decide how to present the user interface rather than tying it
to the <input> element.

The HTML Speech Incubator Group's final report [1] includes a <reco>
element which addresses both these concerns and provides automatic binding
of speech recognition results to existing HTML elements. We are not sure if
the WebApps WG is a good place to work on standardising such markup
elements, hence did not include in the simplified Javascript API [2]. If
there is sufficient interest and scope in the WebApps WG charter for the
Javascript API and markup, we are happy to combine them both in the
proposal.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/htmlspeech/XGR-htmlspeech/
[2]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2011OctDec/att-1696/speechapi.html