Re: [admin] Mail List Policy, Usage, Etiquette, etc. & Top-posting

On 29/5/12 17:56 , Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 2012-05-29 16:53, Glenn Maynard wrote:
>> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 9:22 AM, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com
>> <mailto:art.barstow@nokia.com>> wrote:
>>
>>       * Messages should be encoded usingplain text
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plain_text>
>>

>> No, messages should have a plaintext *version* (MIME alternative).  It's
>> common and useful to use HTML messages, especially when posting about
>> actual spec text, where being able to use italics and bold is extremely
>> useful.  This is quite a relic; I havn't heard anyone make the "emails
>> should only be in plain text" claim in a decade or so.
>
> Emails should only be in plain text.
JCD: It would be easier for me to comply with this rule if I understood
the rationale.
My perception is that this rule is not relevant any more.

Against this rule, I claim that the readability of replies in text-only
threads is much worse, unless the replier spends ages paying attention
to text formatting by hand which is not acceptable. At least, that was
the case the last time I tried.
Best regards
JC

--