Re: Shrinking existing libraries as a goal

On Wed, 16 May 2012 06:32:51 +0200, Yehuda Katz <wycats@gmail.com> wrote:

> In the past year or so, I've participated in a number of threads that
> were implicitly about adding features to browsers that would shrink the
> size of existing libraries.
>
> Inevitably, those discussions end up litigating whether making it easier
> for jQuery (or some other library) to do the task is a good idea in the
> first place.

I think allowing libraries to shrink is a priori a good idea. The details
become particuarly devilish when the impact of a proposed change is
unevenly distributed, making things easier for some and harder for others.

> While those discussions are extremely useful, I feel it would be useful
> for a group to focus on proposals that would shrink the size of existing
> libraries with the implicit assumption that it was a good idea.

 From a webapps perspective that would be very useful if it led to better
feedback on (or ideally more tests for) specs in development.

> If there is a strong reason that people feel that a focused effort to
> identify ways to shrink existing popular libraries in new browsers would
> be a bad idea, I'd be very interested to hear it.

No, having a group who *do* this sounds fine. Looking forward to the
results.

cheers

     je parle français -- hablo español -- jeg kan noen norsk