Re: exposing CANVAS or something like it to Web Workers

On 5/14/2012 7:24 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 5/14/12 10:18 PM, Charles Pritchard wrote:
>>>
>>> Probably cry. ;)

>>> Not without some pretty serious reworking. Which might need to happen.
>>>
>>> Of course basic text layout would also not be available without some
>>> serious reworking (e.g. making the textrun cache threadsafe or
>>> creating per-thread textrun caches or something), so the question of
>>> web fonts is somewhat academic at the moment.
>>>

>> I meant solely for Canvas 2d.
>
> Yes, I understand that.  Canvas 2d text still needs to be able to do
> things like font fallback, shaping, bidi, etc, etc, etc. last I checked.

Oh, the rendering isn't thread safe either? Yes, Canvas 2d text does [is
supposed to] use all of those items.

Well, I'll give up strokeText/fillText entirely in workers if it'll get
me the goods faster.
For a11y, I'm going to need to track my text in the main thread anyway.
I can pre-render there if need be.

-Charles