Re: exposing CANVAS or something like it to Web Workers

> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 10:01 PM, Gregg Tavares (勤)<gman@google.com>  wrote:
>> I'd like to work on exposing something like CANVAS to web workers.
>>
>> Ideally how over it works I'd like to be able to
>>
>> *) get a 2d context in a web worker
>> *) get a WebGL context in a web worker
>> *) download images in a web worker and the images with both 2d contexts and
>> WebGL contexts
>>
>> Any thoughts?
> Have we gotten any further with use cases? See
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-whatwg-archive/2010Mar/thread.html#msg144
> for an old use case thread that went nowhere. Or

1. Speeding up "onmousemove"-based drawing:
In my drawing projects (based on mouse/pen input), we lose mouse events
/ pen pressure information when the main thread is busy rendering what
the user is drawing.
Processing the drawing commands off-thread would lighten the load.

2. Avoiding blocking during redrawing of complex scenes or pre-rendering
of animations.

With complex scenes, where we're repainting, we don't particularly want
to block the main thread while a scene is loading.
But, we'd also like to use as much horsepower as the user's machine can
lend.

A complex scene may block for a few seconds -- we can of course use
green threading approaches, but that adds quite a bit of extra
guess-work and
does not fully exploit the user's machine for speed.