Re: [webcomponents] Template element parser changes => Proposal for adding DocumentFragment.innerHTML

On Thu, 10 May 2012, Rafael Weinstein wrote:

> Also, I'm curious why it's ok to peak at the first few characters of the
> string, and not ok to peak at the token stream until we see the first
> start tag?

Because it's predictable and easy to debug. When you're dealing with a
weird effect caused by some accidental markup hundreds of lines down a
string, it's really hard to work out what's going on. When the effect is
caused by the very first thing in the string, it's much easier to notice
it. (You see this kind problem sometimes on Web pages where text/plain
files are sent as text/html, or text files are slightly augmented with
HTML without properly escaping everything -- they render fine until they
get to something that accidentally looks like markup, and the parser does
its stuff, and you wonder why half of the 100-page document is bold.)