Re: [webcomponents] Template element parser changes => Proposal for adding DocumentFragment.innerHTML

On Wed, 9 May 2012, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> I think having to provide a context every wherewhere you want to
> parse HTML is creating very bad developer ergonomics.

You wouldn't have to provide it everywhere. The vast majority of the time,
the default "body" context is fine.

> I think the proposals here, and the fact that jQuery has implemented
> context-free HTML parsing, proves that it is technically possible.

I don't think look-ahead and magically determining the parse mode from a
preparse of the string is really a sane solution. It doesn't handle all
cases (e.g. it doesn't handle the <style> example I gave), and it results
in very weird results ("very bad developer ergonomics") for cases like
"1GB of text followed by <caption>" vs "1GB of text followed by <coption>"
(where the former loses the text and the latter does not).