Re: [editing] input event should have a data property WAS: [D3E] Where did textInput go?

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 12:44 AM, Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org> wrote:
> As I've said before, I don't think command/value should be restricted to
> contentEditable beforeInput/input events. I don't see any downside to making
> command, value and text all available for all three cases. It simplifies
> things for authors. The code they use for plaintext inputs can be the same
> as for rich-text inputs.

If command/value make any sense for plaintext inputs, yes.  As
specced, and AFAICT as implemented in Gecko and Opera, execCommand()
only operates on the contents of contenteditable areas, not plaintext
inputs.  If that were changed to match (AFAICT) IE and WebKit, then
I'd agree that it would make sense to expose the same properties.