Re: Clipboard API spec should specify beforecopy, beforecut, and beforepaste events

On 5/2/12 2:23 AM, Aryeh Gregor wrote:
> For the former, I'd suggest onbeforecontextmenu, with some way to
> disable specific options

I would think that disabling cut/copy/paste would apply to main menus
too, not just context menus.  Most people I know who use menus for this
(which is precious few, btw, for the most part people I know seem to use
keyboard shortcuts for cut/copy/paste) use the main menu, not the
context menu...

One question is whether this use case (which I agree seems worth
addressing) requires a new event.  That is, is it better for the browser
to fire events every time a menu is opened, or is it better for apps
that want to maintain state like this to update some property on the
editable area whenever their state changes and for browsers to just read
those properties when opening a menu?

The latter is, from my point of view as a browser implementor, somewhat
simpler to deal with, since it doesn't involve having to worry about
alert() or sync XHR or window.close() in menu-opening code.  But I can
see that it might be more complicated to author against...

-Boris