Re: [webcomponents] Template element parser changes => Proposal for adding DocumentFragment.innerHTML

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 3:29 AM, Ms2ger <ms2ger@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 16:57:06 -0700, Rafael Weinstein
>> <rafaelw@google.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> There aren't any parser changes required. DocumentFragment.innerHTML
>>> can still provide the "fragment case" with a context element and
>>> procede normally. It's not obvious to me what bug to open against
>>> HTML.
>>>
>>> Anne, can we move forward with this?
>>

>> I personally think it would be better if HTML kept defining all entry
>> points to the HTML parser. And at least conceptually this is a new
>> insertion mode I think contrary to what you suggest in
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2012AprJun/0334.html
>> as only insertion modes handle emitted tokens. And although I guess it
>> does not matter here for now, given that the tree builder can change the
>> behavior of the tokenizer decoupling them seems rather odd to me.
>
> I agree with Anne's point here; I'd rather not try to spec something more
> complex than invoking an algorithm in the HTML spec in DOMParsing.

I would also agree with that.

However I think that's only a realistic option if the HTML editor is
willing to add such a parser mode to the HTML spec. Otherwise I think
we're left with the option that Rafael describes.

/ Jonas