Re: WebApps' new charter has been approved

On 4/27/12 10:51 AM, ext Mounir Lamouri wrote:
> The "Screen Orientation API" is now listed as "View Orientation API".
> I do not really understand why this change has been made. I could
> understand that "Screen Orientation" might be confusing with
> "DeviceOrientation" but "View Orientation" isn't really making that
> easier to understand.
> In addition, the "Screen Orientation API" is about getting and locking
> the entire device's screen, not the application view. Using "View"
> instead of "Screen" might make this intent very unclear.
>
> What was the reasons behind this renaming?

During Nokia's internal review of the proposed charter, I got some
feedback that the use of screen here was a bit confusing. (One of the
comments was that "current mobile devices do not change the orientation
of the screen in an OS sense, but of the individual applications"). As
such, during AC's charter review, I proposed changing the name to View
Orientation API.

I think we all agree the primary interest is that the technical aspects
of the spec proceed (and that ratholing/bikeshedding on the title isn't
a high priority). As such, I changed the title in PubStatus to Screen
Orientation API to match the latest ED.

Sorry for the confusion.

-AB