Re: [webcomponents] HTML Parsing and the <template> element

>On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 1:57 PM, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@chromium.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Earlier in this thread I mentioned "I expect, however, that there
>> might be larger ideas behind why not to
>> do this in the sense of web components or declarative MDV-like data binding..."
>>
>> I guess this is mostly a question for Dimitri or Dominic, but:
>> <template> is used/referenced extensively in the Web Components
>> Explainer[1] -- I am wondering what using template to hold something
>> like a mustache template (which doesn't use an HTML-like syntax for
>> things like iterators and thus must be used "as a string") would mean
>> in the context of those proposals... How would it affect one's ability
>> to use custom elements, decorators, etc...?
>
> Why would we want to consider a solution that requires two-pass
> parsing and thus is guaranteed to be slower and more error-prone?

The nature of my question isn't whether you/we would want to consider
replacing the current inert parse with treat it as text... I will let
someone else address that if they care to.

Regardless, however, it definitely seems to be the case that several
people here have pointed out that nothing in this prevents one from
using <template> to send mustache or handlebars templates, then just
grabbing it with innerHTML or maybe even making some special property
(originalText or something) available and using it more or less the
way we do now...

However, the explainer uses <template>s as part of other ideas, like
<element> and <decorator>.  The question I am asking then is "If one
chose to use the manual two pass parse approach above, would that
affect their ability to use those templates inside of <element> or
<decorator>?

None of the examples in the explainer actually appear to use
<template> element as anything more than a static chunk of markup, so
I'm not sure how they are applied/whether a templating language choice
even matters... Could they (meaning templates used in <element> and
<decorator>) include token replacement or iteration, etc?

-Brian