Re: [webcomponents]: First draft of the Shadow DOM Specification

On Dec 23, 2011 1:00 PM, "Dimitri Glazkov" <dglazkov@chromium.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 5:23 AM, Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com> wrote:
> > In your example, you lost me on this part:
> >
> > // Insert Bob's shadow tree under the election story box.
> > root.appendChild(document.createElement('shadow'));
> >
> > Is that wrong?  If not, can you explain it?
>
> Sure. Since Alice's shadow DOM subtree is added later than Bob's, his
> tree is older than hers. The way shadow insertion point works, it
> looks for an older tree in the tree stack, hosted by the <ul> element.
> In this case, the older tree is Bob's. Thus, Bob's entire shadow DOM
> tree is inserted in place of the <shadow> element. Does that make more
> sense? What can I do to improve the example? A diagram perhaps? Please
> file a bug with ideas.

Hmmm.  So if you say document.createElement('shadow') it actually gives you
a reference to the most recently  added shadow hosted by the same element?
It doesn't really create?  What if you did that and there were none?  Would
it throw?  Seems kind of tough to wrap my head around let me think about it
some more and I will file a bug if I have any ideas.

> > also... How does this patter
> > give browsers timely enough information to avoid fouc?  It feels like
there
> > is a piece missing..
>
> In this particular case, since both Bob and Alice use
> DOMContentLoaded, FOUC is not an issue. The first paint will occur
> after the shadow subtrees are in place.
A handler attached to DOMContentLoaded doesn't block painting...   That
doesn't sound right to me...  It might be generally faster than people
notice, but it still depends right?   In practice a lot of css is already
applied at that point...yeah?  You could still get fouc right?

> :DG<
>

> > On Dec 22, 2011 8:16 PM, "Brian Kardell" <bkardell@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Quick note :  That is the single best draft prose I have ever read :)

dvcs.w3.org/hg/webcomponents/raw-file/tip/spec/shadow/index.html#shadow-dom-example