Re: [widgets] How to divorce widgets-digsig from Elliptic Curve PAG?

On 18/12/11 20:31 , Marcos Caceres wrote:

> On Sunday, December 18, 2011 at 5:45 PM, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
>
>> Undated references (what you are suggesting) has the MAJOR PROBLEM that it makes it DIFFICULT/IMPOSSIBLE to do validation of any product that claims conformance to a standard – since it's impossible to determine which version of each undated reference they used.
> That's a FEATURE, not a "problem". Makes it inexcusable not to keep up with specs (same design built into HTML5, SVG, etc.).
JCD: How can you seriously state something like this ?
It is so naive to think such hand waving on the spec will have any
effect on how businesses adopt it and use it.

> See also how this de-cupling worked for XML:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/spec-prod/2011OctDec/0192.html
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/spec-prod/2011OctDec/0201.html
>
>> Additionally, it makes interoperability difficult/impossible since you can have multiple valid conforming implementations BUT they don't actually interoperate due to changes between revisions (and algo changes would be a good example of such an interoperability issue).
> I don't see how that is possible: if your spec does not conform to /latest/, then you are non-conforming.
JCD: No! It means the spec is broken.
Just because you decide on a new "definition" of conformance does not
mean it is shared by everyone.
Regards
JC
(speaking as coordinator of conformance in all MPEG standards between
1998 and 2006)

--
JC Dufourd
Directeur d'Etudes/Professor