Re: XPath and Selectors are identical, and shouldn't be co-developed

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 12:18 PM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2011-11-29 20:07, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

>> Since XPath and Selectors are 95% overlapping in functionality and
>> 100% overlapping in goals and overall structure, I believe it is a bad
>> idea to try and develop both for the web platform.  Instead, we should
>
> The proposal wasn't to "develop" XPath as in "doing more work on the
> expression language".
>
> What *was* proposed is to fix/standardize the API for XPath, which already
> is part of the web platform.

Speccing, implementing, and testing an API is also "developing",
particularly when it appears there's a desire to spec, implement, and
test a new, more convenient API that's currently proprietary to a few
browsers.  For the reasons stated in my email, I believe this effort
to be a bad idea.

~TJ