Re: window.find already exists

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 9:03 AM, Tim Down <timdown@gmail.com> wrote:
> window.find() covers a use case not easily replicated by other APIs:
> searching within the page for text that crosses node boundaries. There
> was a thread on the WHATWG mailing list about this:
>
> http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2011-July/032588.html

As noted in that thread, it doesn't cover that use-case very well,
it's not very interoperable between the UAs that implement it, and IE
and Opera don't implement it at all.

At minimum, window.find needs a lot of work.  If it conflicts with
selector-based find, we should drop it and re-spec it as something
better with a more targeted name.

~TJ