Re: TAG Comment on

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 12:05 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 00:47:05 +0100, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:
>>
>> For example, some browsers still (!) support <blink>, but that doesn't
>> mean we should promote its use.
>
> FWIW, <blink> is defined as a feature in HTML5 browsers are expected to
> implement.

Conflating specs with promotion worries me. In particular, it worries
me that the specs == promotion mindset might lead to hiding some
features from the spec, which would lead back to the bad old days when
spec were not even seriously trying to contain the description of what
needs to be implemented in order to successfully render the Web.

By all means put some kind of Surgeon General's warning about race
conditions on localStorage but, please, let's not hide the description
of the feature from specs.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi