On 10/19/11 4:22 AM, Alex Russell wrote:
> Yehuda is representing jQuery. I'll take his opinion as the global
> view unless he choses to say he's representing a personal opinion.

Global jQuery view, yes?  I stand by a slightly statement that what is
common and needs to be fast for Yehuda may not be common and needing to
be fast in general.

In particular, lots of jQuery selector usage is not in fact
performance-sensitive.  Some obviously is.  Again, I'd love to see data
on the cases where performance matters, both when jQuery is involved and
when it's not.

I should note that the larger and more complicated a web app the less
likely it is to use jQuery from what I've seen....

I'm absolutely sure that simple selectors dominate complicated ones in
all contexts, but again I'd really like to have data on what _sort_ of
simple selectors really need optimizing.

> The jQuery team did look to see what selector are "hottest" against
> their engine

Yes.  See above.

-Boris