I agree entirely.

I have asked a number of practitioner friends about this scenario:

  document.getElementById("child").querySelectorAll("div span"); // returns
#inline

In 100% of cases, people consider this behavior *broken*. Not just
"interesting, I wouldn't have expected that", but "who came up with that!?".
In all cases involving JavaScript practitioners, people expect
querySelectorAll to operate on the element as though the element was the
root of a new document, and where combinators are relative to the element.

We already knew this was true since all JavaScript libraries that implement
selectors implemented them in this way.

I also agree that the name querySelectorAll (like getElement(s)By*,
requestAnimationFrame, addEventListener, and most other DOM APIs), are
simply too long to use in day-to-day usage. This results in the need to use
libraries for day-to-day browser development simply to reduce this
borderline-comical verbosity.

I like find and findAll, as jQuery has a `find` which invokes the selector
engine. As to whether jQuery would benefit from the improvements, the
existing jQuery implementation (Sizzle) of the selector engine when qSA is
available is at:
https://github.com/jquery/sizzle/blob/master/sizzle.js#L1150-1233

There are a few categories of extensions:

   - Speeding up certain operations like `#foo` and `body`. There is *no
   excuse* for it being possible to implement userland hacks that improve on
   the performance of querySelectorAll. This may be the result of browsers
   failing to cache the result of parsing selectors or something else, but the
   fact remains that qSA can be noticably slower than the old DOM methods, even
   when Sizzle needs to parse the selector to look for fast-paths.
   - Fixing the implementation mistake in qSA that we're discussing here.
   - Bugs in specific browsers.

jQuery also handles certain custom pseudoselectors, and it might be nice if
it was possible to register JavaScript functions that qSA would use if it
found an unknown pseudo (this would make it possible to implement most of
jQuery's selector engine in terms of qSA), but that's a discussion for
another day.

Yehuda Katz
(ph) 718.877.1325