Re: Spec changes for LCs and later maturity levels [Was: Re: RfC: LCWD of Web Socket API; comment deadline October 21]

On 2011-10-11 00:30, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Oct 2011, Arthur Barstow wrote:
>> On 10/7/11 8:32 AM, ext Julian Reschke wrote:
>>> As far as I recall, we agreed in the IETF WG that parsing of web socket URIs
>>> should work exactly the same way as for any other URI scheme. It appears
>>> that the API spec now tries to override this, and this looks problematic to
>>> me.
>> On 10/7/11 9:30 AM, ext Arthur Barstow wrote:
>>> In [1], Julian asks about Web Socket API rev 1.247 [2], the change that adds
>> the Parsing WebSocket URLs section (CVS comment "Revert the part of r5409 that
>> removed the URL parsing algorithms, since it's no longer defined in the
>> protocol spec. (whatwg r6632)").
>>>
>>> Would you please elaborate on this change?
>>
>> On 10/7/11 11:28 AM, ext Ian Hickson wrote:
>>> Elaborate in what way?
>>
>> Why is the override in 1.247 needed, given what Julian indicates above?
>
> There's no override. It's just defining how you do it because nothing else
> defines it.

As far as I can tell, it's a mix of things repeated from
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-hybi-thewebsocketprotocol-17#section-3>,
things that may be useful, and things that do not make sense at all.

In particular:

"Resolve the url string, with the URL character encoding set to UTF-8.
[RFC3629]"

"Resolve" is undefined as far as I can tell, in particular it's not
clear at all what "URL character encoding" means in this context.

Best regards, Julian