Re: Mutation Observers: a replacement for DOM Mutation Events

On 24/09/11 7:16 AM, Adam Klein wrote:
> Chromium (myself, Rafael Weinstein, Erik Arvidsson, Ryosuke Niwa) and
> Mozilla (Olli Pettay, Jonas Sicking) have worked together on a
> proposal for a replacement for Mutation Events.
>
> This proposal represents our best attempt to date at making a set of
> sensible trade offs which allows for a new mutation observation
> mechanism that:
>
> - Is free of the faults of the existing Mutation Events mechanism
> (enumerated in detail here:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2011JulSep/0779.html)

A simpler solution that is free from the faults listed in that email
would be to have (at max) one mutation observer for the whole page
context. I guess this would be called at the end of the task or
immediately before page reflows.

If a js lib (or multiple libs) want to provide finer grained mutation
handling then let them work out the details.

Sean