Re: Generic guide to exceptions, events, etc. for new APIs Re: [indexeddb] New WebIDL Exception Model for IndexedDB

On Monday, October 3, 2011 at 11:43 PM, Arun Ranganathan wrote:

> > (generally speaking...)
> > Seems there is a lot of confusion about how to do this properly (and I'm seeing that this is going to now be an issue amongst a number of groups, including this group, DAP, and even other organisations that are trying their best to define new APIs such as Webinos and WAC).
> >
> > Perhaps the best thing to do would be to create a wiki page that defines how to do this using some very generic examples. What would be great would be to see how the prose maps to the IDL and how the IDL maps to a real object in Java script… and also show how the DOM4 spec takes care of setting the code and the message…. so, a "Exceptions and events for [Spec Writing] Dummies" would be greatly appreciated (and will avoid a few common mistakes).
>
> I agree, and admit to confusion on my part here as well. I'm keen that
> errors and exceptions are spec'd consistently across the platform.
> We're now contemplating eliminating things that we once took for granted
> (for example, having a dedicated exception such as FileException, etc.).

Robin took the initiative to create a skeleton:
http://test.w3.org/webapps/api-design/

Maybe we can do a quick breakout session with Anne and anyone else interested during TPAC and fill it in. We just need quick bullet points and Robin and I can add examples etc.

Kind regards,
Marcos