Re: [DOMCore] Extension specifications

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 22:14:06 +0200, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
wrote:
> Apologies, I've only recently caught up with tr/domcore.

Glad you are reviewing!

> http://www.w3.org/TR/domcore/#exceptions

Please review http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/domcore/raw-file/tip/Overview.html as
there have been significant changes since the last TR/. (Not in the
section you quote though.)

> "When vendor-neutral extensions to this specification are needed, either
> this specification can be updated accordingly, or an extension
> specification can be written that overrides the requirements in this
> specification. When someone applying this specification to their
> activities decides that they will recognise the requirements of such an
> extension specification, it becomes an applicable specification for the
> purposes of conformance requirements in this specification."

FWIW, we copied this concept from HTML.

> What would an extension specification look like?

Some concepts are used in other specifications, such as "cloning steps"
and "media type" in HTML.

A new specification could also introduce a new type of node for instance.

> An example template for a DOM Core extension specification would make it
> a lot easier on us to build new specs/port existing ones to DOM Core and
> maintain a similar presentation.

Lets cross that bridge when we come to it.

> It'd help with flipping between the extension specification and the DOM
> Core spec, if styles and sections are similar. As DOM Core is still a
> living spec, I would not want to maintain diff files/patches. I'd prefer
> to just reference DOM Core.

Agreed; hopefully they are not needed.

--
Anne van Kesteren