Re: RfC: how to organize the DOM specs [Was: CfC: publish new WD of DOM Core]

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 12:28:56 +0200, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
wrote:
> Before we publish a new WD of Anne's DOM spec, I would like comments on
> how the DOM specs should be organized. In particular: a) whether you
> prefer the status quo (currently that is DOM Core plus D3E) or if you
> want various additional features of DOM e.g. Traversal, Mutation Events,
> etc. to be specified in separate specs; and b) why. Additionally, if you
> prefer features be spec'ed separately, please indicate your willingness
> and availability to contribute as an editor vis-à-vis the editor
> requirements above.

If you look at the DOM model I think what turns out to be most closely
tied are nodes and ranges. On top of that you have the modification model
which spans both. Events and nodes are cross-dependent too. Traversal
could be done separately, but is so small (and has no other dependencies)
that it is not worth it. Given this scope I think we should call it DOM4.

I think defining all of these in one specification is fine. Currently the
specification is only 37 pages when printed. That will certainly grow once
we add ranges, examples, and more introductory text, but will also still
be well below the larger specifications. (Jonas' concern is already
addressed in the specification with notes that reference the other
relevant places in case a feature (so far only some constructor methods on
Document) is defined across sections.)

I also think it is a good idea as these features have cross-dependencies
that are easier spotted and worked out when developed as a single coherent
document.

Everything else that builds on top of this abstract model (such as parsing
and serialization methods, UI events, etc.) can be developed separately.
And probably should be as they have a lot of other dependencies that are
not needed for the abstract model.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/