Re: Component Model Update

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 2:50 PM, John J Barton
<johnjbarton@johnjbarton.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 2:30 PM, Dominic Cooney <dominicc@google.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 2:03 AM, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@chromium.org>
>> wrote:
>> > Yes, shadow DOM gives the author an extra lever to control visibility
>> > and hackability of their code. It's up to them to use this lever
>> > wisely.
>
> Maybe I grew up on to much Web koolaid, but browsers should be giving all
> extra levers to users. In real life control in the hand of "authors" means
> control in the hands of suits and suits will always pick the "hide all"
> setting.
>

>> This is not without precedent. Just like authors who choose to
>> > use canvas to build their entire applications are shutting the door
>> > (intentionally or not) on extensions, I bet we'll also see these
>> > extremes with the Component Model.
>
> In the case of canvas the reason is technical inferiority, the medium is
> write only. Component Model has not such technical limit.
>

>> However, I am also sure that a lot
>> > of authors will see value in retaining composability for extensions.
>> > If anything, shadow DOM can help authors draw proper composability
>> > boundaries and thus inform extensions developers where tweaking is ok
>> > and where may cause explosions.
>
> Again, that's old school.
>
> Independent of our different point of view on control, shadow DOM needs
> debug APIs. So much the better if these are available to extensions.

Let me see if I can capture this into a feature: user scripts may have
access to shadow DOM subtrees. In terms of WebKit, when run in user
script worlds, the Element has an extra accessor to spelunk down the
shadow DOM.

Is this what you're suggesting?

:DG<