RE: publish new WD of DOM Core; deadline August 10

On Monday, August 15, 2011 2:22 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 21:21:46 +0200, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 21:06:58 +0200, Adrian Bateman
> > <adrianba@microsoft.com> wrote:
> >> The name was changed. We weren't terribly keen on the change. It is now
> >> causing problems. I've had multiple people contact me confused about
> >> this. We should fix the problem.
> >
> > Alright, how about "DOM4"?
>
> Adrian, could you please answer the question? Not participating at all in
> the development of DOM Core, then objecting when publishing, and then not
> responding when I try to suggest alternative ways to move forward is not a
> nice way to cooperate within a WG.

Hi Anne,

My apologies for not replying more promptly. I'm representing Microsoft here and
not only my personal views and you'll appreciate that sometimes it takes a little
time to organise this. I'm sure the same applies at Opera too so thanks for your
patience.

It's harder to participate without understanding the scope of the problems being
solved. As I wrote in the separate thread to Art, we prefer a scoped spec where
we've agreed which problems we're trying to solve rather than something open ended.
"DOM4" seems a bit too unbounded in that context but agreeing on the goals for this
spec, be it Core or something else will help answer the questions.

I think there are some good ideas in this spec including some things that will be
helpful to developers to have written down. We spent a lot of time while we were
building IE9 testing to see which parts of the DOM specs were applicable to the
browsable web platform. This is something we will continue to help with though our
immediate priority is helping to move DOM L3 Events forward.

Cheers,

Adrian.