Re: Element.create(): a proposal for more convenient element creation

On , Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 7:05 PM, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com> wrote:
>> Can we have it 'inherit' a parent namespace, and have chaining properties?
>>
>> Element.create('div').create('svg').create('g').create('rect', {title: 'An svg rectangle in an HTML div'});
>
> Ooh, so .create is defined both on Element (defaults to HTML
> namespace, just creates an element) and on Element.prototype (defaults
> to namespace of the element, inserts as a child)?  That's pretty
> interesting.  Presumably the new element gets inserted as a last child
> of the parent.
>
> I like it.

While the idea is interesting, "create" is a too simple name to add on something as polluted as Element.

I wonder if there is enough demand for this kind of chained coding to actually spec an API for this. I've rarely seen it being used, plus the notable exception that is jquery code.

Perhaps createChild, would be better, but then one would need to differentiate Elements from Text.