Re: PROPFIND vs "simple methods", was: [CORS] HTTP error codes in preflight response

On 22.09.2010 20:25, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>> For PROPFIND (and other methods defined to be "safe"): it really doesn't
>> make sense to do a preflight OPTIONS for PROPFIND. Both are defined to be
>> safe. Both could have broken server implementations.
>
> Note that the OPTIONS request always has an empty request body. The
> PROPFIND request on the other hand can have an arbitrary body set by
> the web page author. So it is much more likely that the latter can be
> used to attack a server I would imagine.

An OPTIONS request can have an almost arbitrary long URI.

Anyway, this isn't rational anymore. PROPFIND is well understood and it
*is* safe. If you fear to do damage with a PROPFIND request than you
really should think twice before doing HTTP at all.

Best regards, Julian