Re: Seeking agenda items for WebApps' Nov 1-2 f2f meeting

  Hi Cameron, All,

On 9/11/10 11:40 PM, ext Cameron McCormack wrote:
> Arthur Barstow:
>> * Web IDL - Cameron - will you attend this meeting?
> I hadn’t considered it yet.  Do you think there is an advantage in my
> attending (beyond progress that could be made on the mailing lists, once
> I’m back into the swing of things)?
>
> I think we should be putting a high priority on solving the issue of how
> arrays are exposed on the web, and whether we can still unify the WebGL
> typed arrays, CanvasPixelArray, Blob, and various other interfaces that
> take lists of things.  (Whether it is possible at this point I am not
> sure.)
>
> One cross-group discussion point that has been at the back of my mind
> for a while is that of working out some shared design goals for the web
> platform, especially in the API space.  For example, I see that the DAP
> interfaces quite often use property-bag-style parameters for functions.
> While this might be a fine design pattern in itself, it certainly isn’t
> consistent with the rest of the web platform.  In other specs, some
> interfaces have [NoInterfaceObject] on them, some don’t, and I feel like
> there should be some general guidelines that we should be following to
> decide these kinds of things.  I am concerned that decisions like these,
> made in isolation, could lead to the platform as a whole feeling less
> cohesive.
>
> I haven’t had time to think about this in detail at all yet, though.

I do think f2f meetings have advantages (plus costs), especially during
the all-WG meeting week. I also agree progress can and should be made
via the mail list, especially in the case of Web IDL since it is of
interest to non-W3C groups (e.g. ECMA's TC39) and other W3C WGs.

In general (i.e. not specific to Web IDL), if a spec is on the f2f
agenda, my expectation is the Editor and active contributors will
identify the key issues and topics for discussion. (Chaals and I are
available to help if desired.)

We also can use a phone bridge if people want to participate remotely.

FYI, the DAP WG will meet f2f that week on Thursday and Friday (Nov 4-5):

    http://www.w3.org/2010/11/TPAC/#GroupSchedule

-Art Barstow