RE: Blob/File naming

On Tuesday, September 07, 2010 11:46 AM, Chris Prince wrote:
> >> 1. Most people that I talk to dislike the name Blob, much less having
> >> it spread to things like BlobReader.
>
> I could maybe understand this if "blob" were a new term we were
> inventing.  But it's not.  It's a well-known computer science concept.
>  It seems worse to try and coin a totally new name for "opaque chunk
> of data".
>
> FWIW, "most people" hating the name blob seems like a stretch, as it
> has not been my experience.  But maybe we run in different circles.

This was addressed to me although quoting Jonas.

One of the problems I've experienced is that in general the well-known computer
science concept doesn't have a URL that can be used to stream data into another
object. It's feasible to use the Blob interface in circumstances where the bits
of the "blob" aren't manifested until they are actually used. Some concepts from
the Media Capture API seem to be heading in this direction.

That said, I don't have a problem with the name Blob. :o)

Cheers,

Adrian.