Re: XBL2

On Fri, 3 Sep 2010, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> For what it's worth, it's a requirement for us to be able to use
> namespaces of some sorts since we're planning on implementing XUL using
> XBL2. There are however multiple ways we can do this and I'll need to
> look into which approach XUL developers prefer.

The main idea behind the simplification is to lower the initial
implementation cost, so that we can get some traction, and then we can add
the features back in afterwards to get it back to where we were before.

Namespace support can trivially be added back by just doing it the way the
TR/ draft does it. The new spec is just a subset as far as that goes, to
make it more likely to get implemented at all.

> I'm also not sure that we can do without <style> and <script>, but we
> can always add those as an extension to our implementation.

With XBL in the HTML namespace, the HTML <script> and <style> serve the
same purpose -- there's no net loss of features here (actually there's a
net gain, because scoped stylesheets are slightly more powerful than the
binding-specific sheets we had before).

> In general I would have appreciated at least being pinged about our
> requirements before these changes had been made.

My e-mail was the ping. :-) There's nothing final about any of this, it's
just a proposal, and anything in it can be easily reverted -- the new
draft is literally just a few hours of going down the old one and axing
some features that we can add later (i.e. slimming the spec down to the
core of interdependent features).

Sorry for not making that clearer in my earlier mail.