  From:       Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>

  To:         public-webapps@w3.org

  Cc:         hyatt@apple.com

  Date:       09/02/2010 06:24 PM

  Subject:    XBL2

  Sent by:    public-webapps-request@w3.org

Since XBL2 wasn't getting much traction, I've taken an axe to the spec and
made a number of changes to the spec based on some discussions with some
browser vendors:

   http://dev.w3.org/2006/xbl2/Overview.html

The main changes are simplification: I've dropped namespace support, made
it part of HTML rather than its own language, dropped <style> and <script>
in favour of HTML equivalents, dropped all the <handler> syntactic sugar
(and redirected event forwarding to internal object instead), dropped
<preload>, dropped mentions of XForms and XML Events, and so on. I've
updated all the examples to use the new syntax, so if you're curious about
the differences, comparing the examples in the spec above to those in the
TR version is probably a good way to get an idea of what I did.

If this ends up being more successful than the previous work on this
specification, I'll have to merge it with the HTML spec to more properly
define how it works. Right now it leaves a lot of the detail a bit vague
(e.g. integration with the event loop, the parser, authoring conformance
definitions, etc). If this happens, I don't yet know how much this will
lend itself to being extracted back out into a separate module (for
publication by this working group), versus being just published as a core
part of the HTML spec, but I will be happy to update the group on this
matter as it becomes clearer.

I don't think the draft above would be suitable for publication as a TR/
draft, because of the aforementioned rough edges. I mostly just wanted to
provide this for discussion, to see whether people considered this a move
in a good direction or a significant step backwards.