Re: Lifetime of Blob URL

  Jian,

On 8/28/10 8:59 PM, Jian Li wrote:
> Adding explicit methods to window and WorkerGlobalScope seems to be a
> better solution that solves potential problems we currently have with
> blob.url. Given that, we're going to experiment the proposed new APIs
> in the WebKit implementation, That is, we will add the following two
> methods to window and WorkerGlobalScope in the WebKit implementation:
>     URLString createBlobURL(in Blob blob);
>     void revokeBlobURL(in URLString url);

I think we're agreed here, although can anyone tell me whether there's a
precedent on the Window object to have a method that's so specific to a
top-level object (such as Blob)?  It definitely seems awkward, but I'm
willing to add it to the specification given that there isn't really a
better solution than adding these methods.  Also, the names seem fine to
me.  Can you clarify what your implementation will do if createBlobURL
is called twice (or more) for the same Blob object?
> In addition, BlobError and BlobException sound better because these
> names are consistent with current "Blob" naming scheme in File API. So
> we're also going to adopt these new names in the WebKit implementation
> when we rename FileReader to BlobReader per the spec.

*sigh.  Naming continues to be hard.  Not everyone's thrilled with the
proliferation of Blob in the API [1] including other major implementors
(my co-editor included ;-))  but I changed it mainly due to
Darin/Jian/other objections.  I suppose you folks are pretty adamant on
the Blob* name?

-- A*

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2010JulSep/0153.html