RE: ACTION-568: Create an alternative mechanism for openURL and send it to the mail list (Web Applications Working Group)

Quoting "SULLIVAN, BRYAN L (ATTCINW)" <BS3131@att.com>:

> Marcos,
> That method works for well-know URI schemes except for http:// and
> https://. The openURL() method would have launched the browser for
> those schemes, and we still need a method to do that.

No.  We dont. Please see my proposal.

> I was not able to attend the last week's call and was not aware
> there was a plan to remove the openURL() method. This leaves a major
>  hole in the functionality we need from

Major hole?  No one has yet presented a single use case that could not
be done with an a element.

the Widgets specs (ability to
> launch the browser when necessary/desirable, which is something only
>  known by the widget - e.g. it needs to invoke a resource that it
> knows needs to be handled through the browser or other registered
> URI scheme handler).

See my proposal. Its not needed.