Re: Server Sent Events vs Web Sockets?

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010, Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
> Le lundi 12 avril 2010 à 17:47 +0000, Ian Hickson a écrit :
> > Server sent events doesn't require any change to the network, it's
> > compatible with almost any setup that uses HTTP today. Web Sockets
> > requires that intermediaries support full-duplex connections. Server sent
> > events is compatible with today's HTTP servers. Web Sockets requires new
> > Web Socket servers.
>
> OK — in other words, Server Sent Events should be easier to deploy.
>
> > Server Sent Events has a variety of features that Web Sockets lacks by
> > design, such as reconnection, event IDs, and the ability to send
> > arbitrary events.
>
> So, Server Sent Events adds to Web Sockets a specific protocol for
> dealing with events, a useful pattern to optimize.
>
> > These differences mean that there will likely be a reason for both to
> > exist for a long time.
>
> Yeah, I didn't mean to question that; I'm just trying to see the full
> picture.
>
> > > Currently, the two documents don't reference each other at all; some
> > > clarification of their relationship in the specs themselves would be
> > > useful, I think.
> >
> > They're part of the same document:
> >    http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/complete.html#comms
>
> Whether you consider them as sections or documents, I think it would
> still be useful to document (however briefly) their interrelationship
> (as you just did).

Do you have any suggestion as to how to do that? I don't really see why
the Web Sockets section would mention the Server-sent events section, and
vice versa; they seem like unrelated technologies. I mean, they're as
related to each other as they are to form submission or XMLHttpRequest,
but those aren't mentioned either.